Wednesday, August 30, 2006

1996 Trek 850....



I think the last time I rode a single speed bicycle was about 1964 just before I received a brand new Sears and Roebuck 3 speed bicycle for my 10th birthday. Well, I've been hearing about the benefits of riding a single speed to get in shape from Jackal and others for about 3 years now and decided to give it a shot. My original intention was to build a bike to ride in the snow and ice of winter rather than riding the yellow bike with all it's gears and shifters and such. I have a Trek 850 that I purchased new from Leans on Wood in '96 and haven't ridden in years so I decided to modify it just a bit and get some use out of it. After ordering a few parts from Jackal and other places, it has finally come together. I have ridden it twice in the last couple of days to put a few miles on it and tighten up anything that may have come loose. Woohoo! Beau Coup fun.

FSA 120mm stem from Europa
FSA XC 190 riser bars from Jackal's bike
Ergon grips with small bar ends
Nashbar stem adapter
18T freewheel from Europa
FSA Extreme crankset with 34T Salsa chainring and 175mm crankarms
Godspeed chain tensioner
New rear wheel from Europa
Cateye Mighty 8 from Europa
Specialized Rival saddle from The Yellow Bike
Rockwerks pedals, which hurt my feet and may end up being replaced with Shimano 520's from Europa

It's all good! I have the studded tires I bought from Europa last season so I've got what I set out to build. I'll take it easy and not bust up these old knees. The 2 rides I've taken on it to this point have been good. Lot's of fun for very little cash outlay.

Peace out, yo!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Kerkove said...

That is the world's largest seat bag!

8:08 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

uh huh.... i carry my lunch in it.

peace out, yo!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you still the stock Sugino cranks w/aluminum chainrings?

If they're the ones w/the black crank arms, I'm interested in them. (If so,
please leave a post on this blog.)
Thanks.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home