Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Camp Ingawanis Bicycle Race.....

Jackal, your Race Director....

Young Mr. Bidwell....

Jeremy Bidwell ragin'

Kerkove being Kerkove....

John Adamson says "It's all good...."

The Deerslayer takes the inside line through the sand....

The Deerslayer flying.....

Fast downhill with sandy corner at bottom....

Landon Beachy takin' care of business....

Casey Dean talking with the racers....

Post race.....

Hangin' out after the race....

Jackal stirring things up....

Oh yeah! It was a great race!

Things didn't go exactly as planned for me on Sunday morning but in the end it was all good. I left for Camp Ingawanis at a few minutes after 6 on the yellow bike with the intention of racing in the beginner class for my first ever mountain bike race. I pulled into camp and Jackal told me he needed a huge favor.... He'd left a box of prizes in his basement and wanted to know if I'd hurry back into town to get them. Well, I figured that if I moved right along in The Jetta I might be able to get back in time to participate so I jumped into the car and took off. I picked up the prizes and flew back to the camp and watched the beginners as they took off from the starting line.... Oh well, the prizes were a pretty important part of the race so I felt fine with what had happened. There will be another race somewhere.....

I had the great pleasure of working as a Course Marshall at the bottom of Suicide Hill with Ron Saul. The weather was absolutely perfect, there was a lot of action, and the company was good. I really enjoyed myself! It was a good vantage point from which to watch the race up close and personal. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and having a lot of fun. I heard many comments about the quality of the course and the great organization of the race. Judging from the comments from riders coming down that hill at high speed then making the 100 degree corner in the sand, I'd say that mountain bikers are, well, different. Different in a good (I think) kind of way. Perhaps a little crazy? That seems to be a prerequisite. :)

After the race I was treated to pasta provided by Chuck Landau from the Waterloo Brown Bottle and other culinary delights. Gave me plenty of energy for my "into the wind" ride back to Waterloo!

Great job of running the race and lining up sponsorships! I know that Jackal, Kerkove, Casey, Moo and a lot of others put in tons of work to make it happen. You guys did a super-fantastic job!

Peace out, yo!

5 Comments:

Blogger Carl Buchanan said...

Many thank yous for your sacrifice.

12:33 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

not really a sacrifice at all. i learned a lot and i truly enjoyed it. spent half a day with ron, blew up your cell phone with all of my calls, watched and heard deerslayer's tactics.... (that guy is soooooo smooth!) he's coming down suicide hill at about 30 mph telling the 2 guys in front of him to watch out for the corner at the bottom. they listen to him and slow down and he blows right by them. awesome. every bit as good as miguel duhamel! it's all good. seriously, thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help out.

i saw a lot of racers out there that have kids. i guess that throws out the old wives tale that cyclists can't reproduce because of those mean old saddles...

peace out, yo!

1:21 PM  
Blogger B I D W E L L said...

Cool pictures- Thank you for helping make race day a great experience for all. Oh and congratulations Gramps..

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures; they turned out well!

Maybe your first mountain bike race could be at the Greenbelt TTs. They start a week from tomorrow.

9:17 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

thanks jeremy.... grandkids are cool!

rob... greenbelt tt's? sounds like fun. thanks!

peace out, yo!

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home