Sunday, August 23, 2009

Cool and calm....

Hitch-hiker....
There's a butterfly on my shoulder.
Super Saul....
I love this bike....
???
Black Hawk Park....
Heading north....
A bit of mud....
Greasy....
Tall corn on Ford Road....
Beans as far as the eye can see....
I rode the CX bike yesterday on a "pedal through the parks" ride. Ran into Super on the east side of Big Woods. He'd been out for awhile, I was just getting started. Lot's of users out on the trails yesterday. It was almost dangerous. Ah well....
Rode the Surly this morning. It was about 50F when I left the house. Arm warmers and a base layer. BEAUTIFUL! I went out along the dike behind the Cattle Congress grounds then around East Lake and up through Wyth to Gateway. Not so many trail users this morning but those that were out were s-l-o-w rollers. Mostly seniors just rolling along enjoying the weather. It was good.
I headed out to Black Hawk then took the trail up to Washington Access. I wasn't in there at all last year due to the high water. It is all ridable this year but, if you go out there, be careful. There are a lot 2 or 3 inch limbs across the riding track and a lot of them are hidden and at a diagonal to the direction of travel. Once you get past Cornelious's Pond there is a section under the power lines where the grass is about 3 feet tall for 50 yards or so and the trail through it is almost indiscernable. Once past that there are several sections with standing water and mud. It's good!
I exited onto C57 at the Access and headed east to Ford Road, then south on the gravel. I met two vehicles prior to Washington Chapel and was passed by two cars south of there. All of them slowed down while meeting or passing me and all of them waved, which just reinforces my opinion that it usually isn't the farmers who buzz cyclists out on the county and gravel roads. There is an unwritten form of etiquitte out in the country and those that don't follow it aren't from the country. Prove me wrong....
Anyway, this weekend has been awesome as far as the weather goes. Clear skies with highs in the low to mid 70's and lows in the upper 40's. It doesn't get any better than that!
It seems like summer is winding down. CX is just around the corner. I seem to have lost most of the little bit of fitness I had earlier in the year. I rode the trainer all winter and started the outdoor season in fair shape. We'll see how it goes.... Lanterne Rouge, baby.... :) It's all good!
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!

4 Comments:

Blogger john said...

Train on, brother - train on.
John

7:03 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Blue, if you really want a bushwhacking adventure, take the Ford Road cutt off from the trail! Woo baby! Lots of hike-a-bike back in there.

I was through the Access earlier this year, before all the tall grass took over, and before all the blowdowns. Thanks for the heads up!

Code of The Country? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense to me, and you know how much gravel I travel! That said, I think the younginz are not quite up to speed with it. Even if they do live out in the sticks.

Ride on!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

it's definitely the youngsters you have to look out for. but then again, that's just what the old folks say!
trails are still a little sticky here but not too bad. hope to get some dirt and gravel in tomorrow.
you may be DFL, but that just stands for Doin' it wiF styLe!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Craig, The Flanders Fat Cat said...

That good shape over the winter and fading late is the same thing that happened to me. Maybe we should take the winter off?

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home