Sunday, January 06, 2008

Cross crank....

New crankset....
When I bought the Colnago CX bike it was equipped with 170 mm crank arms and a 39/53 chainring combo. (Why?) I swapped that out today for a new set of cranks that have 172.5 mm arms and 38/46 chainrings. Much better! I also installed an FSA Gossamer compact derailleur to move the chain back and forth between the rings. The 105 derailleur that came with the bike doesn't work very well with that small combo and the chainstay got in the way. Jackal graciously stopped by and fine tuned the new front derailleur so that it shifts as smooth as a newborn baby's ass. Slicker than snot on a doorknob. It works great! I spent an hour with it on the trainer this afternoon listening to Guns n' Roses.... Pretty good workout.
The weather has been much warmer this weekend, but with that warmer air comes fog. Thick, damp, fog. That isn't all that cool! I had planned to do a gravel grinder with Fat Albert and Super Saul yesterday but other issues kept me home. Sounds like they had a good ride. Kathleen and John and crew went on a road ride yesterday that looked like fun. Sounds like it ended up being a long one!
G-Ted and I worked out a deal for a set of Kreitlers with a "Killer Headwind" fan that he had laying around. I'm about ready to try them out but I think I'd better have Jackal standing by when I do, just in case.... (No, I'm definitely not ready for roller racing or for the HOP. That will take some time :)) Thanks Ted!!!!!
That's it for now, I think.
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Blue - make sure you get video of your first roller ride just incase something hilarious happens.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Ari said...

You should check out some rollers called e-motion. They are amazing. they have these added rollers that make it a lot easier to ride. Plus you can stand and simulate climbing. They are made in Oregon and run about 700-800 bucks.
ari

7:59 AM  
Blogger B I D W E L L said...

Doood- if I can do it, you can do it. Just have KAT double check the setup ;)

3:54 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

show of hands....

who wants to see me crash in the basement?

that's what i thought. everyone! ha!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Blue: You'll get the hang of it. I just can't stand riding the things myself. It isn't any fun for me at all, and if'n it ain't fun, I ain't a gunna do it.

I know these went to a good home though, and thanks for helping me out too. :>)

I will have the results of that help posted soon.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Position the rollers in a door frame for balance and support. That is what we used to do when I was in college. I even studied while riding them (book on a stand next to the rollers).
But just in case, have someone there with a camcorder! :^)

11:53 AM  
Blogger weak and feeble said...

Gotta lover rollers! Sprint at top speed then hop off to the side and burn rubber marks into the rug- a big favorite with the wife!

later,

DEA

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home