Sunday, August 30, 2009

Gravel goodness....

West on 12th....
3010 Diesel, Straight out of the '60s....
North on S....
Beaver Creek west of New Hartford....
Into the New Hartford hills.....
Parkersburg in the distance....
North on Spring Avenue....
Small climb....
New Hartford....
Target....
The iron bridge at Butler and Westbrook is gone....
It was 52F when I left the house this morning. Just a breeze from the NW. Grand Boulevard is open now so I headed that way and then out of town on 12th Street to hit up some gravel. The maintainer has been out in Black Hawk County so the roads are covered with loose gravel until you hit Butler Road. Once through the intersection at Butler and 12th you are out of Black Hawk county and the roads are perfect. I went to the end of 12th then rode the Stout blacktop for a further 2 miles before going north again to Westbrook. Then it was back to the west to R Avenue and then north again to the New Hartford hills. I had stopped for a couple of minutes on the north side of the tracks at Ridge Avenue and Hwy 57 to stretch and pee when a farm wife and her grandson stopped to ask if everything was alright. I had layed my bike down beside the road and they thought I'd taken a spill. It was nice of them to stop and check!
Anyway, I crossed Beaver Creek and headed up the hill and over, then it was east into the hills for the trip to New Hartford. If the county doesn't do any maintenance out there for the next couple of weeks those roads are going to be PERFECT for the State Gravel Road Race on the 12th. All I can say is SWEET!!!
I made my way through the hills then into New Hartford where I continued east on Diagonal back to Westbrook. As soon as I crossed back into Black Hawk County the roads had been graded again along with new rock in some places. I hate loose gravel but it does make you a better bike handler. You take what you get, I guess.
I had 40 miles on the computer when I got back home. It was about 61F by then. A great day for riding.
Should have taken my camera to Toad's today. Chili Dog Supreme. OMG! It was GOOD! Jalapenos, cheese, and onions on top of a bowl filled with chili over a hot dog in a bun. Excellent!
That's about it for now. Enjoy the day!
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!


4 Comments:

Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Sounds like a perfect ride, luckily you were caught in an embarrassing situation though. LOL

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was perfect today and was also perfect yesterday for the race in Lincoln too (minus the North wind)... hope that chili catches up to you in a meeting tomorrow!! :)

No awesome comments from Judy in awhile. :(

7:24 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

lily....
i'm difficult to embarrass. lol.

fatty....
the chili has been giving me fits all afternoon and evening. it was soooooo good!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

good thing you rode 40 miles; the chili dog sounds like it would take that much to work off!
3010's are workhorses. my uncle in indiana had one of those back then. love the deere!
glad to see your getting some gravel time in. ours is still a bit sloppy. hope to be back out there this week. had to stay to the road today.
p.s. thanks for the 66 degrees and partly sunny!

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home