Monday, July 23, 2007

The ride....








Jackal and I went for a short ride yesterday evening and I got to try out the carbon fiber bike for the first time. He rode it first and gave it his "seal of approval".
I just got back from a solo 25 miler and I'm really liking the C-50 so far. I've ridden alot of miles over the years on steel bikes and I love them. My 1985 Schwinn Peloton is a sweet ride but my 2001 Colnago Master X Light rides nicer, hands down. Now I've ridden a carbon bike and it's awesome. You still feel everything that you feel with steel but the ride is somewhat muted compared to steel. Dampened, perhaps. And it's STIFF!!! Things that would be somewhat harsh on the Master are smooth on the C-50. Subtly smooth? I don't know how to compare the ride differences. Perhaps when I have a few more miles on it I will be able to describe it better.


Will it make me faster? No.

Will it make me ride more? Not likely. I already put in quite a few miles.

Will it help me keep from getting dropped on the group rides? Not a chance.

Why did I buy it then? Because.
My Master is a 56 cm frameset, which borders on the maximum size for me. The C-50 is a 54 and it fits a bit "better". It's sweet. It's beautiful. I love it!
The specs:
2004 Colnago C-50 54cm
Colango Star Carbon fork
110 mm ITM stem
Easton EC 90 carbon bars
Chris King headset
Fizik Arione "Acqua & Sapone" saddle
Fizik bar tape
Colnago carbon seatpost
Full Campy Record gruppo, all carbon (except brake calipers.... they are aluminum)
Mavic Open Pro wheels, 32 spokes
Michelin slicks
Tacx Tao cages (shouldn't lose my bottles with these!)
Cateye Enduro 8 computer
I'm guessing it weighs about 16 1/2 pounds or so
That's it for now.

Ride safe!
Peace out, yo!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Will it help me from getting dropped on the group rides?" You never know!!

Will you lose a H20 bottle from those cages?? You never know!!!

I did notice the pink bottle tops!

Campy...have fun!!

I know the REAL reason you bought that bike! Ask me next time and I'll tell you!

One last thing, I don't blame you for blurring out Carl either!!! :)

10:09 PM  
Blogger Carl Buchanan said...

You're asking for it there Fry. :)

10:17 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Nice ride Blue! You are getting to be a Colnago collector perhaps? ;)

I agree with your assesment of carbon. Strange ride but nice. You just have to ride one to "get it".

Hope to see it in the flesh soon sometime. Those are sweet lookers!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Jeez Blue. Did you hit the lottery or trade in the Jetta? I don't even wanna guess what that thing cost. Nice ride!

I am not sure I can call you Blue anymore. I think Red fits better.

10:07 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

i missed you tonight, fat albert.....

be nice to fat albert, jackal....

g-ted.... wow! i love it! judy will kill me if i even mention buying another bike so i don't think i'll be collecting (any more) colnagos any time soon....

chris.... i saved my pennies and waited patiently until the right deal came along. i'll never win the lottery and i couldn't bear to part with the jetta. i got it cheap! (kinda)

10:14 PM  
Blogger buster said...

Jackal, Any chance you'd want to part with your 1985 Schwinn Peloton if you still have it? My 85 is in too bad of shape to restore. Which I just happened to race on in Waterloo in the late 80's.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home