Thursday, October 11, 2007

In the woods....


Cement mixers....
Fuel truck....


What is now known as the Hartman North Unit used to be an area of quarries owned by a local concrete contractor. It's now a nature area. That's where these pictures were taken this evening. My grandfather used to take me fishing in these sand quarries when I was a kid and I can remember catching sunfish and bullheads and filling buckets with them. It was awesome! The gravel road that cuts through here used to be open to traffic, though no one but fishermen used it. It's one of the first places that Grandpa let me sit on his lap and steer the car. A 1961 Plymouth. He bought a new Plymouth in '65 so I had to be about 9 years old at the time. George Wyth Park, then known as Josh Higgins Park, also had a gravel road going through it and I drove that old Plymouth out there too. I remember a big tree growing in the middle of the road just inside the entrace to the park from Cedar Falls near where the Highway 58 bridge crosses the river now. You had to drive around it and I always thought i'd hit it. Back then you crossed on the Main Street bridge, which used to be part of Highway 20. Things have definitely changed from that time. More people. Asphalt. New shelter houses. It's different, yet still the same. I'm not sure where this was going, and it doesn't matter.... It's good. :) I'm done for now.
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Things change eh blue?

8:11 PM  
Blogger Jeff Moser said...

I bet those Cement Mixers will still be sitting there long after we're gone...

9:28 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

chris....
yeah, things change. sometimes good, other times not so good.

jeff....
i'd bet that the fuel truck body has been there 25 years and the cement mixer body on the right about that long also. shirey went out of business probably 15 or 20 years ago so the other one has been there a long time too. you run across old drag line cables and the like all over the area. it's still a pretty neat area though, especially for someone who knew it as a kid a long time ago....

6:38 AM  
Blogger bryan said...

they were just opening the whole 218/58/57 thing when I started college. Apparently it was momentous.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Captain Bob said...

Good reading Blue. Thanks!

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home