Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Things....

I went out and did the Orange Loop tonight after work. The wind is dead out of the south at 15-20 and this trip consisted of 10 miles into the wind, about 8 miles with a cross wind and then 11 miles back with a glorious tailwind. Still, I averaged only 15 mph over the trip. More work is needed....

It's a bit over 80 degrees but the humidity doesn't seem bad today. It was a good ride! As I was heading east about 4 miles out of Hudson on the Eagle Center blacktop I met late 80's Mustang with a couple of kids in it. The driver was apparently waving at me so I figured he knew me. As I raised my hand to wave back at him I realized that the little shit was giving me the bird. What's up with that? LOL. Oh well, I just waved and continued on my merry way.

Someone had been riding a horse on the paved bicycle trail on the north side of Hudson. Horses not allowed! How do I know there was a horse on the trail? There was horse poop for about a mile out of town. Sweet! Dog people (usually) clean up after their pets when they take them on the trail. Apparently horse people don't. Hmmmm..... Well, some horse people don't. I don't want to put all horse riders in the "inconsiderate" category because I know that most of them are courteous, conscientious people. You expect that stuff on the dirt trails that are shared with horses and on county roads but not on the paved trails. Oh well....

I rode out 27th to tee intersection yesterday and as I was on my way out on Grand I saw that there were 3 cycling jerseys hanging on a rod in the front yard of one of the houses there. I made a mental note to check them out when I returned since one of them was a 7-Eleven jersey and one was a Colnago Del Tonga jersey. I did my ride and then stopped on the way back to check sizes.... Hmmmm.... a bit small for me. They would have fit fine when I was racing back in the 80's, but not today. As I rolled up Grand toward home the notion hit me that they would fit Jackal and his bartop dancing brother so I called the number that I'd memorized when I looked at them. A pleasant sounding woman answered the phone and I told her who I was and what I wanted and asked if she would grab them from in front of her house and hold them for me until I went home and got the car. She said "Your name came up on my caller ID and gave me quite a start". I asked why that would be? She said "my husband recently passed away and his name was Paul Buchanan too". I didn't know what to say at that point. Wow. Anyway, it turned out that she handled it quite well and we had a nice chat. The third jersey was a LaVie Claire from about 1985 so I bought that one too and gave it to Jackal since he grew up on Greg LeMond and the boys. The other two fit Brother of Jackal just fine. If you happen to see a couple of 7-Eleven kitted guys rollin' around here, it isn't Bob Roll and Andy Hampsten....

That's it for now. Need food!

Ride safe.

Peace out, yo!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least it was a mustang and not a yellow PT cruiser!!! That was horse poop either...Tony must've been riding on the trail. Good job on the jerseys too!!! Too bad one of them wasn't a Hooters jersey...if you know what I mean!!! :)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

That must have totally freaked out Mrs. B when the caller ID came up...weird.

Nice scoop on the shirts, when I first read it, I thought they were on the clothes line!! LMAO...

Thanks for the shout out about conscientious horse peeps....thanks!

Enjoy your day, happy cycling.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Yeah, I'm with lily there. I thought you were clothes line stealin' there Blue! Ha ha! Anyway, nice score on the jerseys. Kinda spooky on that situation, but almost as if it was meant to be, huh?

The 7-11 Team rides again! I'll be on the look out for you and the "super-domestique" ruling the roads from now on. ;-)

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope she at least gave you a discount as you are "family"??!!!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Make that three thinking you were considering obtaining the jerseys with a "5-finger discount"!
La Vie Claire would be nice to have; always dug the design of that jersey. If I ever get out there and ride with you folks, I will bring my Super U jersey and we can recreate the mid-80's tour peloton! :^)
Got to watch out for those punks in Mustangs; they do not respect their elders.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Cheerleader said...

Well, you not much can be said about people who drive Mustangs from the late 70s to the 80s. Those are sad looking cars ;-P

4:29 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

15 isn't bad blue. Nice score on the jerseys.

9:26 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

anon....
i still keep my eyes open for that pt when i'm in that neck of the woods. you wouldn't look as good in a hooters jersey as, say, jennifer from ft. meyers.

lily....
when she told me that the caller id freaked her out all i could say is wow. i know horse people are good. horse poop on the trails isn't :) lol.

g-ted....
i should have clarified that the jerseys were for sale. ha! i hope the young 'un realizes his place in the line-up... domestique for sure. old age has it's priveledges.

anon....
no discount, but i couldn't believe the prices. almost yard sale cheap.

oldman....
super u? cool! that rocks!
i used to drive a '73 mach 1. i don't think i was a punk in it, but, well, maybe... ;)

cheerleader....
some of them are pretty sad looking, eh?

chris....
i worked the tailwind for all i could and was hoping for better than 15. oh well, i'm still pretty young and have time. lol.

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home