Sunday, June 01, 2008

It warmed up today....

Jackal....
Ditch Tiger....
Rolling through Finchford....
Up the hill in Finchford....
By Beaver Creek....
Jackal and his baby brother....
The Giro is over and Alberto Contador was able to dig deep and win it. What a race! Liquigas rider Franco Pellizotti took 4th overall and Daniele Bennati, also of Team Liquigas, won the sprinters competition. Woohoo!
Jackal and I went riding this morning and were able to enjoy the beautiful weather and very little auto traffic. We went up by the new bridge between Janesville and Finchford to check on the progress of the construction crew.... It's been out for two years now and it looks like they are getting close to completing it. Perhaps later this summer or early fall. That'll be nice to have back! After we'd looked at it for awhle I told Jackal that he could tackle the east side of 3 tier hill and not worry about me. I'd catch up in Finchford. He suggested that I take off first and that he'd catch me. Ok.... He waited till I got to Union Road, giving me a half mile headstart, and then took off after me. I figured he'd catch me before I crested the hill but that didn't happen. Probably a quarter mile after I got over the top he flew by. Maybe 3/8 of a mile, but he blew by me none the less. We rolled into Finchford then up the hill, around the corner, and back to Union Road then south to Cedar Falls. It was a good ride. Probably not much of a workout for him but plenty good for me.
There were quite a few people out on bikes today. It was 70 degrees when we left at 9:30 and probably close to 80 by the time we got back. Quite a change from the last few weeks.
Fat Albert finished Dirty Kanza this weekend in 6th place with a time of just over 14 hours. Super Saul finished it in 19 hours. 206 miles of torturous gravel. Good job, guys!
We had a terrible tragedy occur in the Bike Tech family on Friday afternoon. Kim Pierce, official Bike Tech Racing photographer and energetic doer of whatever needs to be done, lost her husband, David, in a work related accident. Kim and I were co-workers for a number of years and she is a super lady. She is the sister of Kat Porter, also of Bike Tech Racing. Please keep Kim and her family in your thoughts and prayers.
That's it for now.
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!






15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that gravel in the first picture? If so, that stuff should be banned.

7:55 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

welcome back!

yeah, it's a gravel driveway that goes to the house next to the new bridge.

lost your love of gravel, eh?

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,
Thank you for your sympathies.

If you see this please email me. I would like to talk you.

Thanks,
Kim

10:23 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - you spoiler! I am watching Versus right now.

10:30 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

kim....
will do

chris....
oops! you shouldn't read blogs that may have cycling related content before you watch the races. ;)

6:35 AM  
Blogger john said...

Mr. Blue - Thanks for the information but, where did you find the results for the Dirty Kanza?
John

1:29 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

john....
from one of the racers :)

2:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like a great ride; wish I could get my son back out there to pull me around!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Craig, The Flanders Fat Cat said...

That was one hell of a Giro. Contador was amazing. Gotta wait a month or so until we can really talk his ride up. Never know what the vampires are going to come up with.

Did you stay up until 1:30AM to watch the Pens steal that game?
My favorite quote was from Whitney (I think) after getting high sticked in the third overtime. "I was skating across the ice praying for blood."

7:55 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

oldman....
it's kinda nice having a strong rider to follow around. makes life easier, especially the headwinds.

fat cat....
the second ot was all i could handle. i get up way too early for late night television. definitely "playoff" hockey.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Blue,

So sorry for your friend Kim with the sudden loss of her husband, that is just too sad. Please let her know that there are prayers being sent from Ottawa.

On a lighter note;
That WAS an awesome hockey game....Holy Yikes....fight to the finish...the way hockey should be played....

8:49 AM  
Blogger Captain Bob said...

I didn't realize you had two sons named Jackal. I remeber the fat one but not this slightly skinnier one.

6:35 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

lily....
thank you. i'll pass that on to kim. i'm sure she'll appreciate it.
on a lighter note.... 2 of my sons have convinced me that it's time to pull the skates and pads out of retirement and give it another go. i haven't played in 4 years but i guess i've been committed (no pun intended) to play again this year. omg! what have i done? i'll be 54 on friday and the oldest goalie in the league. (by quite a few years) it'll be fun, i guess :)

cap'n....
he's a piece of work, eh?
judy and i were following him and adam down the alley to toad's on sunday and i swear they walk exactly alike. absolutely scary in their similarity. whoa.....

8:32 PM  
Blogger Adam Lorenz said...

yo. just a heads up, but i'll be back in town from june 11-16. hopefully our paths will cross... i mean, if anything for some toads!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Carl Buchanan said...

I'll remember those word Cap'n.....

:-)

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home