Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Things....

Ghost town....
I rode down to the Washington Park golf course tonight to check it out after this summer's flooding. It's totally destroyed, never to re-open. It looks like a ghost town. The only thing left of the clubhouse is the foundation. The whole place is either overgrown or totally bare. Lot's of good memories from that place. Yes, I may have had a beer or two in the clubhouse.... You could have a pretty decent cross race over there now. Hmmmm....
From there I headed out to ride around Big Woods Lake where I found a cyclist laying on the ground in the middle of the trail. He told me that he had a broken leg. Oh yes. It was definitely broken. The ambulance had been called to take him away to the hospital. After he was safely taken care of by the paramedics I waited for the Cedar Falls police to come get his recumbant. We soon discovered that it was too big for the trunk of the patrol car but about the time we were taking it back out of the trunk a gentleman rolled up in his pickup truck and offered to haul the bike to the cop shop. Hopefully all turns out well for the cyclist. It was a seriously nasty break!
Anyway, that's about it for now.
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!
Update:
I talked to John L's wife this afternoon. He broke both the tibia and fibula in his left leg. After a 2 1/2 hour surgery and 5 screws in his lower leg, he is doing fine. He has a cast from the tips of his toes to his groin area and the doc says he won't be riding a bike or xc skiing anytime soon. I don't know him at all but I can tell you that I wouldn't bet on that....

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That recumbant must have been "hauling" to have crashed so hard he broke his leg. Don't have far to fall from one of those.
It is amazing that a "flood" is not an act of nature that insurance covers. I assume they were doing a good business prior to that but now are completely defunct. Pretty tragic.

6:35 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

oldman....
i don't know how fast he was going when he crashed. it was one of those bikes where your feet are about even with your eyes when you're riding it. 59 years old but he appeared to be in pretty good shape.
the washington park golf course was an old 9 hole course down by the river. it had been around forever and had been flooded a lot of times. they had always cleaned it up and resumed play but this time they say nope, not happenin'. kinda sad. it was a city course and cheap to play. oh well, movin' right along.... :)

6:59 AM  
Blogger john said...

Paul - Did you play little league baseball at Washington Park as a kid? I remember a lot of good times in the Lion's league in the 50's. X course or a disk course would be most excellent.
Johna

8:35 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

john....
i played optimist ball in waterloo as a kid. we didn't move to cf until i was in junior high.
they could make a killer cx course and a nice disc golf course over there.... :)

9:20 AM  
Blogger bryan said...

don't you know? Recumbents are superior machines on flat ground! Let's see you "upright" cyclists do 45. Wussies.

I'll be growing a beard, adding a bunch of crap to my bike and wearing funny shorts from now on, thanks.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Davis said...

Hi Uncle Paul. Just thought I would stop by and say hey. Hope you all are doing well.

Miss you,
Coila

1:06 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Sounds like there might be a future CX at the golf course!! LOL,

geez, that must have been one heck of wreck John had to damage his leg so badly...

Just what I need to read when I'm battling my fear of cycling...hmmm, maybe I need to get a cell phone...

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home