Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Cooling down....
Kool-Aid and Kow Bells....
Arm warmers and knickers....
It won't be long til the change....
Sunshine and 59....
Just cruisin'....


I think the high today was 61. The sun was shining and it was very nice outside. Back in the day, when I used to run, this would have been the "perfect" day. It was an excellent day for cycling.
I came home from work and decided that I'd rather ride than mow the lawn so I changed the wheels on the CX bike to a set of Weyless Korso wheels with Michelin Jets on them and took off. The grass looked like hell in the yard but I didn't care. I headed down to the meadow in Hartman hoping to meet up with Jackal and Striker. No one was there when I got there. I checked my armpits to see if I had an odor that may have scared them off but no, no abnormal odors other than the Cedar Falls sewage treatment facility, which is a mile away from the meadow. Have I ever mentioned that that thing stinks? What do you expect for several million dollars?
I did a couple of laps in the grass then headed out the gravel to the paved bike path and on into CF. I was glad I wore the arm warmers and knickers because 59 is cooler than I remembered it. I rolled past the golf course and the horribly odiferous sewage treatment facility and then headed out to do a couple of laps around Big Woods Lake. The only other people I saw were a few walkers and a couple dressed in yellow on a tandem with aero bars. I said "hi" but got no response. Oh well....
I did my laps then headed back through George Wyth Park, across the river, and up the Trolley Car Trail. Home before dark with less than 20 miles. I'm telling you, the leaves are starting to turn colors and fall to the ground and it's getting dark much earlier. It won't be long until we'll have to dress much warmer for riding and put the lights on the bikes! :) I love fall!
Cross out Crohns in Newton this Sunday. I think I'm going to do the Master's 50+ again. We were over for that race last year and the venue is awesome and the race well run plus it supports a good cause. It's gonna be a blast!
Oh yeah! When I got home from my ride I was greeted to a freshly mown lawn. Brother of Jackal had come home from work and had gotten busy! Thanks, Buddy!
Update! Brother of Jackal tells me that he started the mower for his mom and she mowed the lawn. Thanks, Judy!
That's it for now.
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!

12 Comments:

Blogger Mike Johnson said...

What? I was there but hit the meadow about 6:15. Did about 10 laps and a few hill repeats on Lookout.

Sorry I missed ya.

And yes it's cold. Got to get use to this weather. Really looking forward to the ride in the morning to work - 39 Deg. Time to get out all of the cold weather gear.

8:20 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

i missed you by 15 minutes! another time....

cold weather riding is good for the soul! enjoy it.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - maybe Brother of Jackal may need more bike equipment. HA!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It has been in the 50's all week here and raining off and on. I can ride in the cool weather, but the rain is for the birds.
But, I have been working until 8 every night, so it doesn't matter anyway!
Glad your getting out there; good luck with the cross race this weekend!
Maybe next fall when I move to MN, I can come over to these IA cross events and challenge you in the 50+ class!

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look! It's a blue colnago!!! ;)

12:23 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

chris....
i hope not :)

oldman....
i hear ya on the late nights at work. i just got back from a ride with my flashing white headlight and red blinkie. if you come to race cx here i'll just finish one place further back... that's ok though :) i don't mind.

sonya....
it's really kind of a grape color. :) it may end up ergon green for next year. or white.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Ari said...

Good luck on the racing. you a lucky man.
How is little Jake doing??
ari

10:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Blue: Yeah right. DFL for me. But as long as there is beer and sandwiches after, I'm good with that!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Craig, The Flanders Fat Cat said...

59 is colder than I remember too. I put on a long sleeve Jersey and shorts yesterday and was freezing. Had to do climbing intervals all day to keep the body temp up.

I'll take your advice and let the blue Colnago cross out to play. There is a race Nov 1st and I'll be making sure everyone is a winner (over at least one fat old man.). You can put your time up for your next race and, by comparison, you can beat my time here and feel that same euphoria.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

I may get on Ruby Red today for the last time this season. It's cold here and the furnace is on, grrr, I hate winter!

I'll be putting on long johns that's for sure!!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Hrrumph! Cold? This ain't nuthin yet. I am still wearing shorts and won't go to the tights yet. But I'm not right in the head either!

Good luck in Newton, Blue! I hope the race goes well for you.

8:31 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

ari....
thanks! little jake is doing fine! he may get his traech out in a few days! woohoo!

oldman....
dfl is the place reserved for me. it's easier to ride around the course heckling the fans from that spot. the sponsor was giving away some really nice ale from a keg yesterday after the race. mmmmmm.......

craig....
an hour plus two laps for the old guys. kicks my ass in a big way, even when i'm 3 laps down. i'm getting smarter though. if you take it easy it doesn't hurt as bad.

lily....
seriously, you can ride most of the winter. layers, baby, layers. it isn't so bad.

g-ted....
someone has to go out and ride and smile, eh? i hear ya on the cold. it isn't here yet, but i'm pretty sure it will be.... :)

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home