Monday, August 13, 2007

Mini Group Ride....

No, not really. Just Adam and I on the single speeds for a 15 mile jaunt through the parks tonight. Stopped for a minute to see Brent and confirm one last time that he plans to be at 7 Oaks with us on Labor Day weekend as an official member of the illustrious Team Stoopid. He will be there. G-Ted, Brent, Brother of Jackal, and myself. 3 Surlys and an Inbred. Single speedin'. IT WILL BE GOOD! My race coach, er, I mean advisor, is recommending 34 x 20 gearing since there is only one section that is flat and it's about a half mile of grass. The rest is climbing (walking?) and coasting. I said "what the hell...?" He said "It's a damned ski area, Bozo. Duh! Suck it up and stop whining...." He's brutal. I figure that I'll get about 10 mph out of that gearing on the flats at about 120 rpm. Ted, you can do the math and correct me. (I only spin at about 90 rpm, BTW) Probably about 4 mph on the climbs and coasting down the hills at about 35 or 40. That's gonna be where my fat ass has the advantage! "LOOK OUT BELOW.....!!!!"

Anyway, the real group ride is tomorrow, if it doesn't rain. It's a twice a week social event for me. Mostly I get pretty good at talking to myself because after a couple of miles there is no one to listen to me anyway. I can usually see the group off in the distance by then. Ahead of me. It's all good! ;)

That's it for now. Time for bed.

Ride safe.

Peace out, yo!

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Good luck with your race.

7:12 AM  
Blogger bryan said...

sooo ... are you guys blasting that Alice Cooper song from your stereos when you enter the parking lot?

Because that would be pretty sweet.

4:13 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

chris.... thanks! it's gonna be a blast!

bryan....

hey stoopid!

school's out for the summer

only women bleed

7:49 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

34 X 20 on a little wheeled bike? Yeah, that's a climbing gear big time. You'll be spinning like a mad man to get to 15mph, and that's your sprint fella! :)

I'm running a 34 X 20 on a big wheeled bike which will be a bit stouter gear because of the bigger wheel. About 10% difference. I shouldn't have any problem cruising at 10-13mph on the flats. It's the same gear I used at Dirty Kanza and they had waaaay bigger hills there!

Still planning a training table meeting this weekend. Saturday or Sunday?

5:46 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

g-ted...

i'm good on the meeting. let's say saturday afternoon, but i ain't gettin' likkered up. :) well, maybe one or two beers.... last time we drank together judy had to drive me home.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Blue: I think that the last time we drank Adam was "amping things up" a bit. That might have been the root cause of that chauffered ride home there, me thinks! ;)

7:12 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

g-ted.... you might be right on that. i sorta remember being challenged to shots of jaegermeister by him then me upping the ante to tequilla after i'd had enough licorice. i remember that he was hung over the next day and i wasn't and he had "that look" by the time the last shot came. light weight kid! beer, then shots, followed by more beer. it's all good! i think i have to work the day after christmas this year. too bad.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home