Saturday, December 01, 2007

Frozen Saturday....



Manatt Lake is frozen....

Hartman North singletrack....

South Riverside Trail....

Yup, time for the temp in downtown Cedar Falls....

UNI plays Delaware today. Go Panthers!!!!!!

A fire would be nice....

Yeah, we have freezing rain today....


I left about 7 this morning for a ride on the Surly. The wind is wicked today! ESE at 23. The temp is 23F and believe me, it's freakin' cold outside!!!
I headed north on Hackett to the singletrack just past the bike path and then into the woods and over to the gravel that runs through the north unit. Back onto the singletrack at the west end of Manatt Lake and over to the prairie. Rode through the prairie to the gravel again and then back onto the bike path and over to Cedar Falls. From there it was out to Big Woods Lake and then to Lone Tree Road and Center Street. Stopped at the Prime Mart for Bug Juice and a brownie. I needed something to drink because my water bottles were frozen solid by then. The brownie just plain looked so good that I had to have it! Yummmmm......
From there it was over to Cottage Row Road and back onto the bike path over Snag Creek, through Island Park, and into CF. By then my fingers were cold and the freezing rain was starting in earnest. Ice was accumulating on me and on my bike and I had to scoot!
The sewage treatment plant is RIPE today! I still can't believe that they are planning to build "upscale" apartments in the green area there along the river. They have already told the business owners on the north end of Main Street that they will be taking 100 of the parking spaces in the lot just outside the back door of The Thin Man's shop. There are barely 100 spots in there to begin with and not a lot of parking anywhere nearby. Dumb. A distinct lack of common sense and a city that sees no further than a slight increase in it's tax base. They may add a bit of property tax revenue but they will make life extremely difficult for the business on the north end of Main. I think it sucks. I also think that they need a good architect and an engineer that have no vested interest in this project to take a look-see before they go any further. I think that the odor from the treatment plant is a lawsuit waiting to happen if they build housing there. Not only against the developer but also against the city for being so stupid. Oh well, what do I know? I know it stinks. Big time. In more ways than one.
I give my sincere thanks and a big nod of approval to the County Conservation Board for putting the temporary trail in on the north end of Big Woods Lake. Now there is a trail to replace the section that was removed last summer for the construction of the new campground. It may be gravel right now but it does connect with the west side trail and completes the circuit around the lake for the winter. YAY!!!! Someone must have realized that the trail gets used year round. Woohoo to whomever made that decision!!! Good call!
Local riders... Give me your thoughts on an "ice cross" race on Manatt Lake and possibly some of the Hartman North singletrack this winter. I have a vision for a short course that could be a lot of fun! (It would probably require studs...)
I think that's it for now. Have a great weekend.
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Kerkove said...

hardcore you are!

5:58 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

kerkove....

some of the days that you ride.... well, i wouldn't even open the back door. :)

8:13 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

23! That is still warm for your posts.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still think Pink was driving his car when he took the bank temperature picture!!! :) We need to see a Kerkovian picture for proof next time! Studs...who needs studs??? When you are fat like me the tires beg to break through the ice!! :)

9:57 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

chris....

it'll get colder... :)

oh corpulent one....

saw doug at iowa city last weekend. he told me that your fat ass was riding the rollers. what the heck is up with that? why weren't you out cheering the crazies on?

10:29 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Blue: You ARE hardcore! Don't let the kiddies bring ya down.

On the upscale apartments: You and I are on the same page there! Remember the days when Signs By Design's building was still back there and parking was insane! That was when main street was dead. And yeah, the stink! Heck, nobody in there right mind would live there and pay what must be sky high rent in the first place, don't you think?

On the Ice Cross: Sounds fantastic! Maybe I could cobble something together for that one. Count me in if it happens.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I like the Ice Cross, went to one in Minnesota once and had a riot. More fun without studs, I wasn't mad at State CX just in a pain cave - I think you actually made me go faster.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home