Friday, December 07, 2007


Pearl Harbor Day....

Looking out the window this morning I notice that the inch or so of new snow that I shoveled when I got home last night is about all we received. The prediction was for up to 6" of new snow. I'm glad not to have to shovel again this morning.

I'm looking at my calendar for December and notice that we remember Hanukkah, MLK jr's birthday, and Kwanzaa but there is no mention of Pearl Harbor Day. December 7th, 1941. I wonder why that is? Just curious.

I'm thinking about the shootings a couple of days ago in Omaha. And the ones in Columbine a few years back. And all of the shootings which have involved young people taking up the gun. Then I think of the 40 years or so that a very small percentage of our population has fervently spent attempting to create a Godless Amerika for all of us. And the 30 years that a segment of the population has (successfully) been shoving "Political Correctness" down our throats. You know.... No winners. No losers. No hurt feelings. No consequences...... Just dissatisfied mediocrity.

I think that there is a connection.

To me, it doesn't seem all that difficult to figure out. It isn't the gun. I think that we've forgotten to teach our children how to deal with life. You know, that place where we have winners and losers. Responsibilities and consequences. Bliss and agony. We forgot to teach them that we have to figure out a way to deal with life's problems every single day.

Like it or not, life is real. Sometimes we get our feelings hurt.

It's not a video game. You can't hit the reset button and start over if you don't like what's happening to you.

It isn't always easy. Of course, it doesn't have to be as difficult as we sometimes make it, either.

Oh well. What do I know?

Time to get ready for work. More later. Have a great day!

Ride safe.

Peace out, yo!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Despite my concerns about gun access (and I grew up with a rack above my bed as a kid), you are right on the mark on this issue.
We have made consequences a dirty word in our childrens minds, therefore they are less likely to see them as a roadblock to bad decisions. Especially as troubled a kid as this one.
Life is tough, but if you don't burn your hand or scrape your knee once and awhile, you never learn to deal with it effectively.
As parents, we have to take the blame and the responsibility to make sure those lessons are learned.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Ari said...

We need to get off the phones, get off the T.V and start thinking again. I think we as Americans have become numb. Most people live isolated in their three boxes:
#1 Home
#2 Car
#3 Cubicle
We also buy whatever our kids want and they never have to EARN anything. I see many scary trends out there. I hope we can recapture the essence of being American.
Ari

12:01 AM  
Blogger john said...

Here's my rant - it relates, kind of, to what you are saying.
Hang up the fucking phone and pay attention. I'm saying that we need to get truely ingauge with the real world.
John

12:01 AM  
Blogger john said...

Check out the last two post times.
John

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question.....How did you get that ice off your driveway?

3:46 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Wow! I couldn't agree more. Thanks Blue!

Funny, (or not so funny) story: About 20 years ago I was working in a jewelry store on December 7th and I asked all of my co-workers what day it was.

None of them knew. Not one.

It makes me sick, Blue.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home