Friday, January 25, 2008

A bit cool....

Waterloo had a new record low temp yesterday. -29 at the airport. It was much warmer than that when I left for work at 6 a.m. It was up to -23 by then. -9 this morning but it's supposed to hit the mid 20s tomorrow and up over 30 on Sunday. Highs in the 40s on Monday, with rain, then it gets colder again. Not cold cold, mind you. Mid 20s cold. That isn't so bad.

I got home from work last night and was getting ready to sit down to Judy's yummy spaghetti when the phone rang. It was Jackal's next younger brother, Eric. He had a problem. It seems that he'd sent his oldest son to the basement to put bread in the freezer but the fact that there was "snow" in there caused him concern so, being the good son that he is, he told his dad. Well, Eric went down to check it out and sure enough, there was "snow" in the freezer. The right thing to do was to scrape it out so that's what he did. Hmmmm........ He pushed the freezer backward into the water meter as he was scraping and broke the meter free from the main. Not good. Readlyn is 25 miles away, it's cold outside, and the roads are crap...... I wasn't too excited but plumbers are expensive and I didn't have anything better to do so Judy and I headed north. Poor Eric. Yeah, we got it fixed in short order but when I looked at the shelves along the wall opposite the freezer I nearly cried. He is a collector of "Mini Truckin'" magazine and had about 20 years worth of them on that shelf. They were in pristine condition. He's like Jackal in that regard. Anal. He said when the meter broke off it was like a thunderstorm in the basement. He actually took it better than I did. I had a nice collection of "Winning" magazines from the mid 80s through about 1990. Yeah, well, Judy threw them away a few years back. You can imagine the way I felt about that. LeMond winning the tour, Hampsten the Giro.... 7 Eleven in Europe. Oh yeah. Well, life goes on and we get past those things. It's all good, right?

That's it for now.

Ride safe.

Peace out, yo!

6 Comments:

Blogger weak and feeble said...

-29, that's nuts! We only get that cold when you start adding in windchill. Stay warm.

later,

DEA

9:39 AM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

That reminds me of when I found out that my sister burned all of my 45 RPM singles because I left them at home when I went off to college and she thought I didn't want them anymore.

Yeah......you get over it eventually!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Travel Gravel said...

Gave away all of my back issues of Hot VWs and about 14 years worth of MTB Action in a period of profound idiocy! The golden age of cnc parts, gone:( Later!

10:51 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

dea....

yes, it's nuts! warm today though. 15 above and climbing!!! :)

ted....

i agree. that would suck. everything i wanted to keep when i left for the army went into a trunk. it's in the garage attic now, untouched after al these years. i should go take a look, after it warms up....

gravelo....

hot vw's.... oh yeah! i gave a few of those away over the years. things like that make me want to collect bigger things. you know what i mean.... :) cars, and the like.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - now I know that Iowa in uninhabitable. -29 is crazy.

Sucks about the water meter. That sounds like something I would do.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Pete Basso said...

Sorry about the bad news with the Son, it never seems to happen in the middle of the day when its dry and warm outside. Those plumbers will kill ya making those calls.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home