Tuesday, January 29, 2008

So, there I was....

It was about 4 this afternoon and I was just finishing a meeting with our HR director. I was leaving his office and walking past the Receptionist's desk to check my mail box when she took a call on her phone. She got quite excited and just a little loud with the person on the other end. I had the impression that something bad had happened when she said she'd try to get hold of someone. Whomever she was talking to seemed to have had an accident and it appeared to have happened in our south parking lot. Great. She hung up the phone and turned around and saw me there so she told me that she thought someone might be playing a joke on her. She said that Jarded had just called and that he said he had fallen in the parking lot and had broken his leg. Jared has been known to joke around once in awhile but this sounded out of character even for him so I suggested that we go take a look. We walked through the plant to the south entrance and what do you suppose we saw? Yup, Jared sitting in the middle of the parking lot. I grabbed one of our young supervisors and headed out the door. When we got to him he said "I heard it crack when I fell". Sweet! Did a cursory check and then we helped him up and back into the buildng. I took a quick look and decided that he was probably right, he appeared to have broken his leg just above the left ankle. I told him that it was a good thing he'd lost a bunch of weight or Emily and I wouldn't have been able to bring him back inside. I rounded up transportation to run him down to the hospital, which is about a mile away, and have it looked at. Yup, it's broken. Fractured tibia.

Anyway, I was planning to post about our weather tonight and must've got sidetracked. I'm glad that he had a cell phone with him and could call into the office. It was just below zero and the wind was out of the NNW at 33 gusting to 40. Yes Baby, it was cold outside! When I got up at 5 this morning it was 40F outside. When I left for work at 6 it was 31. By 11 this morning it was 2 above and at 4 this afternoon it was 2 below. Freakin' cold. When I left the plant at 6 this evening, I thought I'd freeze to death walking across the parking lot to my truck. I'M READY FOR WARMER WEATHER!!!!!!!! This winter has been BROOTAL and I'm ready or a change. Now.

I went up to Kat's place last night after work to try on the new jerseys for next year. I want to thank her for laughing with me, rather than at me, when I tried the first one on. :) It was good! She offered to take a picture for the blog. I politely declined.... I definitely have some work to do!

That's about it for now.

Ride safe.

Peace out, yo!

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Blue - did your first aid training just take over? Or did you go running out into the lot with the electric paddles like a maniac? haha

11:09 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

the first aid training always takes over. :)

6:31 AM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Well there's a vote for cell phones, huh? Glad to hear he is okay. Too bad about the leg though.

Yeah, you know I'm with you on this weather thing. The good news is we're supposed to moderate into the low to mid 30's for highs which will slowly take it's toll on the remaining snow cover.

I've a feeling we'll be riding again alot more very soon!

8:24 AM  
Blogger bryan said...

Paul Buchanan: Role model, haberdasher to kings, gentleman, lifesaver.

Well done, sir.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Pete Basso said...

Sorry to hear about this Jared's leg, but certainly glad someone was there to help out.

I went out to get in the hot tub at 5:30am and it was about 40 outside. Afterwards, I went into my office and opened the window only to see the snow flying and the temp had dropped to the teens!! Yikes!! The day before it was 51 and I got to enjoy some sweet sunshine and a "springlike" ride.

7:43 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

bryan....

you're too kind. **blushing**

pete....

what were you doing in the hot tub at 5:30 in the morning?
man, that weather was weird!
i got my utility bill today. whoaaaaaa...... i may have to take out a loan to pay it! lol.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home