Friday, March 14, 2008

Smokin' dope....

So, there I was....

I left the plant at a quarter of 6 this evening to head home but when I crossed Donald Street I saw the train. One of Jackal's beloved freight trains rolling into Waterloo. I said "crap" and thought to myself that I have nothing better going on so I decided to wait for it. (I waited yesterday, too. And Wednesday.)

It was a long one and I could tell that it was blocking all four of the intersections that I could easily use to get home. I didn't want to add 5 1/2 miles to my trip, and I was first in line, so I waited, watching the grafitti go by.

After about 5 minutes a car pulled up behind me and decided to wait too. 2 brothers in the car. Smoking dope. I couldn't help watching them. After about 20 minutes of waiting they rolled another and fired it up. They were definitely rockin' to the beat. Funny.

I could see that there were about 10 cars left to go through the crossing when the train stopped. I waited. I knew it would roll again soon.... The minutes ticked by. The brothers rolled out, back the way they'd come. I wasn't moving because I knew the train would start rolling again as soon as I turned around. 15 minutes. 20. I left and drove back to Donald then down to Longfellow and across the highway. Still sitting there. It's a main route to the hospital. I waited a few minutes and watched. It had taken 20 minutes to the point at which it stopped. Then another 20 until I left. And 10 more before I finally headed home. For all I know it could still be sitting there....

I do not share Jackal's love of trains once they've blocked an intersection for more than 5 minutes. It's a serious waste of my $3.15 gas. Shoulda ridden my bike, I guess :)

Ride safe.

Peace out, yo!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any lessons learned??? Should always carry a 6er of Guinness with you in the car!!! :)

8:09 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

amen! :)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Ari said...

Shut the motor and light up the crack pipe. That'll teach them teenage boys.
We used to live on the "wrong" side of the tracks a while ago and I think in the near 20 years I have spent about ONE YEAR waiting. Never again.
ari

10:00 PM  
Blogger Captain Bob said...

You should have walked back to their car and poured some water on their party.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have to say I laughed my ass off thinking about what the two "dudes" were saying while smoking dope!
When I was a kid the town we lived in had exactly the same train problem. There were 5 roads into Jenison within a 5 mile distance and everyone of them required you to cross the tracks. I will never get back the time I spent waiting!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - I guess they were prepared for a train wait and you weren't. HA!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Hmm..........I got caught at that same intersection on my bicycle last summer, so a bike wouldn't have made a whole lotta difference there.

Anyway, great story. I suppose the situation will change if an ambulance gets stuck there and a prominent citizen dies on the gurney. ;>)

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry dood- didn't recognize you in front of me, woulda said "hey" or at least asked for some ho-hos or ding-dongs....

2:22 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

dooooooddddddd........

whoaaaa! was that you? haven't seen you in awhile. i didn't realize you had grown out your facial hair and got such a deep, dark tan! holy crap!

did i see a picture of your helmet on the btr site? you musta been draftin' doug e pretty close. i figgered he'd have you pullin' this time of year after all your miles on the trainer in that cold assed garage....

watch the hoochie mommas and crazies out there....

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home