Thursday, June 26, 2008

The "L" ride....

I got home from work at 5:30 tonight and changed clothes as quick as I could to try to catch the guys before they left on the group ride. I made it to the shop with 5 minutes to spare and was immediately invited to go on the "L" ride by Kat. I had never been on an "L" ride before, didn't even know what it was. I asked Kat and she smiled and said it's "the ladies ride". Hey, you know I'm all about that, so Kat, Kim, Amy, and I headed out right behind the main group for some serious ass-kicking fun. We had a good time and I learned lot. Well, I heard bits and pieces about some guys "six pack" and kinda heard about a recipe for gluton free something or other and a couple of other recipes including one that uses corn flakes without milk or sugar as a binder to hold some Italian meatballs together. (For a second there I thought they were talking about my bike.) All I could offer up was the recipe that I'd recently read about for Scotch Eggs and another for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Kat talked about some day-glo knickers that she used to wear and then she said she used to have a wide bottom. Uh huh, sure :) Like I said, I learned a lot. I hope I get invited back sometime.

Of course they all wanted to know what the guys talk about on "their" group rides.... Oh my, I had to tell them that the guys are too busy trying to blow each other up to talk.

My biggest fear was that I'd get spit out the back and that I'd have to watch them cruise off over the next hill while I was maxing my heart rate trying to keep up. They were good to me and never let me fall too far behind. That was petty cool!

Amy was working on her "Farmer's Blow", which, as everyone knows, is when you cover one nostril and blow through the other to, um, clear your sinuses. She was getting pretty good at it by the end of the ride and even warned those behind her that she was "going to blow". A group ride with manners! Sweet! Oh yeah! I heard the comment at least twice that we should stop for ice cream and baked goods. My kinda group ride!

I have to say that I had a GREAT time tonight! Thanks, ladies. Oh! Does anyone know where we passed the "guys"? I see we beat them back to town! We must have been so intent on exchanging recipes that I didn't even notice that we passed them.

It was good.

That's it for now.

Ride safe.

Peace out, yo!

10 Comments:

Blogger KAT said...

Always a pleasure to have Blue on board - anytime, anyplace - you are so right on with the "L" ride. Every Thursday 6:00pm - we're expecting you now....

Thanks for the ride,

KAT

12:17 AM  
Blogger Peak Art said...

Wow Paul...you wrote it just exactly as it happened!!!

12:44 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

kat....
thanks! it was seriously fun! i'll be back.

kim....
see! i learned something from you girls.... how to describe a ride exactly as it happened :)
and you thought guys don't listen. ha ha!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Way to go Blue! You are breaking down those barriers that divide us and showing the world that men and women CAN "share the ride". You are a real trooper brother! Keep fighting the good fight.
And send me that corn flake/meatball recipe when you get a chance! :^)

8:48 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

oldman....
another thing i noticed on the ride was that there was no spitting and the girls don't stink like the guys do.

sending a shout out to amy for the italian meatballs with marinara recipe. the one with the cornflakes (sans milk and sugar) binder. amy? are you there?

4:26 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Ha! Most guys are afraid to ride with the gals for fear of getting "chicked". At least you went for it and learned something in the process. That is, let those idiots kill each other while you hang out with the ladies.

Tell me you aren't smart, just try to! :-)

Glad to hear everyone enjoyed themselves.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ride was fabulous and so was the company! We ladies like to get mixed company, though word does get out about how we manage to keep going. . . talk about food and then we have no idea how much our legs are hurting ;-P That Scotch Egg sounded good and disgusting at the same time, what's that say about my stomach on the bike ride?
Recipe time:
Meatballs--gluten free & authentic Italian (I hope this all shows up!)
Italian Meatballs
The important thing to know about making meatballs is that the mixture should end up being about 2/3 meat and the other 1/3 all the other ingredients. If you eat meatballs in a restaurant and they taste dense, it's usually because they don't put enough of the other ingredients in. Meatballs should have a light and fluffy consistency- easy to break with just your fork.
- 1 container (box) of (no sugar added) corn flakes smashed into crumbs (often used in Southern cooking, this will be used in place of bread crumbs)
-1 lbs ground meat (Turkey, pork, beef, veal, bambi, whatever floats your boat)
- 1/2 medium onion, minced, preferably in a food processor
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, preferably in a food processor
-2 eggs
-2/3 cup parmesan cheese (not Kraft, but Parmesean Regiano-can't spell it but it's the good stuff!)
-2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley (the curly stuff is for decoration only)
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil

In a very large bowl, crumble meat, onion, and garlic. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic salt, and pepper until well blended. Add mixture to meat. Using clean hands, knead the mixture lightly until evenly blended. It should be very moist at this point. Add 1 cup of corn flake crumbs at a time, thoroughly mixing into the mixture. You will know that you added enough crumbs when you can just slightly still feel the crumbs even though they're completely blended in. Don't be afraid to add too many crumbs- this is what makes the meatball fluffy. When complete, chill the mixture about 30 min until firm.
In a large skillet or saute pan, heat enough olive oil to line the base. Line 2-3 layers of paper towels on the counter as a place to put cooked meatballs and to absorb some of the excess oil. Remove the mixture from the fridge and shape into balls with about a 2.5 inch diameter. Carefully place meatballs in the frying pan. When the meatballs are golden brown on one side, flip to the other. Note that you're not fully cooking the meatballs- just getting them to a golden brown color. Place cooked meatballs onto the paper towels to cool.
If you're going to freeze the meatballs to eat at a later date, bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes to finish cooking them. Once they're cooled, place in a ziplock bag on its side in the freezer. Once meatballs are frozen, you can turn the bag upright without them sticking to each other. If you plan to eat the meatballs right away, place them in a pot of Sunday gravy and cover. Simmer for about 1 hour to finish cooking the meatballs. You can even add some cut up sausage to make the meal very authentic. Serve with Tinkyada brand rice pasta.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do believe that is one of the longest comments that I have ever read...now I'm hungry!!

12:20 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

g-ted....
amen! :)

amy....
thanks! you done good, girl!!! :)

anon....
i'm hungry now, too!

oldman....
thee's your recipe, buddy! :)

9:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow; I never expected that! And to think I was kidding. Well, I guess I have to try it! Now, where is that printer cable . . . .

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home