Sunday, July 20, 2008

We went to lunch....



....and came home with a new bike. Hmmmmm.... I was looking at the new Specialized Transition TT bike that The Thin Man has in his front window and Judy gave me the look of death. "No more bikes" is what she said to me. No more bikes. (I was just looking at it. I can't help it that I like bikes) The Queen of Cross was riding this new pink Hotrock around the shop and she really seemed to like it. I figured that if the seat could be lowered a half inch that it would be a perfect fit. I said so to Judy, looking for a reaction. I was waiting for the "no more bikes" comment, but she just smiled and said "who spoils her?" I said that it's too bad I can't buy any more bikes. She said "no more bikes for you". Hmmmm..... Every comment that a woman makes has some sort of qualification attached to it :) I asked Clay if he would let the seat down a half inch, so he went and got the allen wrench to lower it. Uh-oh.... It was all the way down. I asked if he had a hacksaw. Oh yeah! Clay and Jackal made short work of "adjusting" the seatpost and The Queen of Cross had a new bike! Pretty sweet!


ENOUGH!!!!!

My vote for "Most Annoying Commercial of All Time" goes to this year's Saab Tour de France ditty....

For the perfect balance of fuel efficiency and performance, we take energy from the exhaust and recycle it....

For the perfect balance of fuel efficiency and performance, we take energy from the exhaust and recycle it....

For the perfect balance of fuel efficiency and performance, we take energy from the exhaust and recycle it....

Kinda like the ol' fingers across the blackboard. Or your dentist's drill. Enough. That commercial alone would prevent me buying a Saab.

Today's edition of Le Tour was great. If you haven't seen it yet, I won't spoil it for you. Suffice it to say that there was suffering. Serious suffering. This is turning out to be one of the best races in my memory. I'm thinking I may be late for work tomorrow....

46 mile solo ride in the heat and humidity yesterday. If you take the bike path south of the soccer complex to get to the Hudson path, be prepared to "hike a bike" under the Hwy 20 bridge. Water over the pavement, but you can walk around it.

I went to Hudson then west on the Zaneta blacktop and then north to Dike and 27th Street. It was a good ride. Glad I refilled my first bottle at the cemetary in Hudson. The heat and humidity were pretty intense.

I saw Super Saul as I was heading down Grand on my way out of town. He, Jeremy, and Doug did a hundred mile grinder on cx bikes. Apparently there was some "B" road action involved...

Yesterday was also G-Ted's Death Ride. And the Bike Tech folks were planning 2 laps at Colesburg. Whoaa.... Redemske and crew are attempting the first stage of that annual bike race across Iowa today. I'm betting that they'll stop for meat on a stick and it will do them in.

The sun is shining, the Tour stage is over, and I'm hungry. A bit of lunch is in order followed by a ride to Janesville and Finchford. I'm going to attempt to cross the Winslow Road bridge this afternoon, I think. I wish they would get the construction done on it and reopen it :) We'll see. May have to do some back-tracking.

That's it for now.

Ride safe.

Peace out, yo!

27 Comments:

Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Whoa! Hot 'n Humid ain't half the story!

Hydrate or Die, words to live by now days.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Oh yeah! That pink bike is hot too. But not humid. Heh, heh! Can't believe she's already on a bike. That's awesome!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Ari said...

Man does time go by fast. I can't believe she is on a bike already. Today I took my daugher out on a new trail a bike. We can go further with the new bike. Hope all is well.
Ari

9:04 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

hot but not humid.... good one, ted!

i see you survived the death ride. good on ya!

we went in the front door of the thin mans shop today. we usually use the back. anyway, it was sitting right there and she just got on it and started rollin'.... she acts like she owns the place :)

9:06 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

ari....
she gets bigger everyday!

we haven't had the burley out yet, but it will happen soon, i'm sure. she isn't quite big enough for a trail-a-bike yet.

behave yourself :)

9:08 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That is the same bike Angelo has. It is awesome.

9:12 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

chris....
i figure that since it has an aero downtube, you should be able to take the cross tires off and put on slicks and use it for time trialing too....

pretty sweet ride!

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dig the training wheels. I should get a pair of them...really.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Craig, The Flanders Fat Cat said...

What a little cutie!

I hated that commercial the first time I saw it. I'm sure some ad guru told some clueless bunch of execs, "Yeah, but they'll remember it." Yeah, we'll remember it along with Saab aversion and nausea.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when is Rhea getting a new TT bike?

Ron

9:51 AM  
Blogger Masini said...

Although it's the wrong brand (that S usually turns me off immediately)... I gotta say that's a sweet ride. Oh well, Cannondale and Colnago don't make 'em for little royalty so no problem.

So the big question is... for cross season, will she mount tubulars or keep these clinchers on?

11:09 AM  
Blogger bryan said...

I got KOM points on the last climb into Harlan, which featured double points. I threw my bike to get to the sprint line in ... I don't know, some little town. There was no meat on a stick, however. I cleaned out the Pizza Ranch buffet instead.

5:53:53, 98.3 miles or something.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Carl Buchanan said...

Don't worry Rory, I feel the same way about that S as you do. It will get taken care of. :)

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong with the S??? How many World Championships has C'dale won lately???

3:05 PM  
Blogger Carl Buchanan said...

Oh how I love anonymous posts, so ballsy. There is more to life than World Championships. I'm a bit of a morals and ethics kind of guy and Cannondale is a bit more in line with my tastes.

Signing my name with Bedford pride,
Carl "Buchanandale" Buchanan

6:14 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

anon....
i'll hook you up with the guy that sells them. :) (i could probably use a pair myself)

craig....
i like to say that she looks just like her g'pa paul, but i've never been that cute. thanks!
i can deal with the other saab comercials, but that one, goddddddd...... i hate it!

ron....
well, when she can fit on a 54cm bike, i guess. i don't think judy would buy the "i'm getting it for her now but she'll grow into it" bit. especally if i tell her i'll ride it till she does get big enough. i think she'd see right through that one.


rory....
c'dale and colnago are missing out on market share. darn!

i think she'll be riding the clinchers this season ;)

bryan....
double kom points on the first stage? whoaaaa! you must've been kickin' it! somehow i knew you'd find food out there! beer?

anon, jackal....
nevermind.

7:19 PM  
Blogger bryan said...

yeah, double KOM points because the stage had an uphill finish. I must have missed the jersey presentation, though.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That Queen of Cross ride is sweet. She looks like she's practicing her lunge for the line in that last picture! She is a cutie.
I hear the "no more bikes" arguement all the time. That Surly in Minnesota had my name all over it but Rene shut me down.
Just don't tell her about the new MTB frame in the basement; shhhh!

11:53 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

bryan....
maybe they'll send it to you?

oldman....
you should see her dismount. riding along and just gets off the bike and it keeps going. we have a little work to do yet.

as far as the new frame in the basement.... i won't tell.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

I just love the "Queen of Cross's" new hot wheels...too cute, hope they didn't cut the post down too far, she will need to raise that seat by the end of the summer I bet!!

I'm looking at Cannondales...maybe I'll get one next year Blue!! But for now, I'll be happy with my big old iron pig...

happy riding with the Queen!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My kids used to do that all the time. My son was still doing the rolling dismount when he was MTB racing! He would have made a hell of a cross-racer though . . .

12:43 PM  
Blogger B I D W E L L said...

Remind me to go to lunch with you Blue! Nice ride!!

Nothin wrong with SAAB, The swedish ones are the best. Mines goin strong!

1:37 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

lily....
the boys only cut off a half inch of seatpost so we should be fine. good on ya for lookin into c'dale for next year. you can't go wrong with those bikes!

oldman....
cross is where it's at, brian. everything else is just training for cx!

jeremy....
i'm about a quarter of the way serious about looking for a different vehicle and jackal thinks maybe i should look at a saab. i likes me vw though. tough choice. 2 v dubs in the drive? that would be mighty nice lookin'!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Travel Gravel said...

24 comments???That's gotta be a record! Shrink it,pink it, sell a bike. A pink S bike would have to have a maple leaf sticker on it eh? Later!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Travel Gravel said...

I meant C bike, 25 comments.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Masini said...

Blast over to Jackal's site for an update on this now-classic bike!

26...

(I think my max is 6... I'm gonna have to get a Burley for the dogs and post that for a little human (or dog) interest story to come anywhere near 26!)

7:31 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

bluecolnago said...
greg....
yup, but those folks north of the border are our friends! yeah baby! i think c'dale has a great corporate philosophy and that they'll do just fine with their headquarters in the great white north. they'll still be making bikes in bedford but the maple leaf next to the stars and bars would look pretty cool. keep grindin' that gravel!

rory....
that's a sweet lookin c'dale!

i think a post with a photo spread of die hunden in a burley would be pretty cool. i'd probably comment on that :)

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home