Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Fat Cat's right....

Like The Fat Cat said, the guy had big balls on the bumper and, I suspect, small balls in the cab.

I've said it before.... It's different out on the road this year. I've ridden bikes around here for a very long time and have never had so many "near misses" with cars on the road as this year. I've talked to friends and fellow cyclists and most agree that it is different out there this year. Is it high gas prices, the long cold winter that we experienced, the rise in food prices? A combination of all these things? A realignment of the cosmos? Has someone put STUPID pills in the water? I dunno. Anyway....

7 of us were riding south on Waverly Road last night. We were in a single file pace line about a mile or so south of the gun club road. Adam had fallen off the back a bit and I was pushing to get him back with the group. I heard a vehicle behind us but paid little attention to it since this stretch of road is very low traffic and the people who use it tend to be pretty decent folk and pay attention. The noise got louder and louder and then I saw a burgandy truck fender out of the corner of my eye which startled me because it was only inches, and I do mean inches, away from me. The mirror cleared my shoulder by a couple of inches. Same with Adam. That pissed me off. I watched as he rolled on ahead and I couldn't quite grasp what I was seeing as the truck came upon the group of 5 just a few yards ahead of us.... The driver actually pulled over to his right, closer to the riders. If one of them would have burped or farted, he would have been hit. Then he mashed the gas and roared away. It was such an unnecessary and obviously intentional action and difficult to comprehend at the time. I can't imagine what posessed this idiot to do what he did. I wish I'd of had my camera out and would have gotten a picture. He needs to be reported to the police and talked to. Bad. Very bad. I think it shook everyone in the group up. The six 0'clock group also had an incident with an idiot driver on Union Road out by Buck Ridge last night. I've heard about that from a couple of the riders who were there. Also ugly. Wow.

I think Iowa needs a 3 foot law. I think we need it now, but I'm not quite sure how to go about getting something done. I will admit that I'm more prone to reaction than activism. I'm certainly open to suggestions. I definitely don't want to read about one of you getting whacked by some idiot in a motor vehicle who was in too much of a hurry or just being stoopid.

These things are happening on roads that all of us have ridden on in relative safety for many years. I wish I would have had the presence of mind to get his tag number last night.

Apparently it doesn't matter if you're riding alone or in a group. These idiots are getting stupider and stupider.

Your thoughts....

Ride safe.

Peace out, yo!

9 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Being from Nebraska instead of Iowa I think that Iowa's water got here too. I would have to agree that this year has been the year of near misses. I'm all for the 3 foot rule..but enforcing is going to be the issue. Most of the time the group I ride with comprises of area law enforcement. In asking them what to do they have to shrug their shoulders too.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - start bringing brass knucks with you. I am a bit different than you. While you say he needs talking to, I say he needs beat down. When someone puts me intentionally in harms way, that deserves an ass whoopin'.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

Wow that is frightening! I'm glad you are guys are alright though! Be careful out there. You could always move to AZ with us where there are bike paths everywhere... the 115 degree weather might bother you a little though.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Well, I am sorry to hear of all this. You know, even I- who rarely does pavement anymore- got harassed on a B road north of garwin last weekend. WTF!

I'd say that if the group could all be aware and try getting tag numbers on close calls, that would be your only immediate defense in all of this.

Otherwise, I'd start bugging some of the local state reps. Some of them are cyclists themselves and would be sympathetic to your plight. Just a suggestion or two.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Redg! said...

When I heard that engine, I thought that something just landed on the road and wanted to abduct the Thin Man.
I was so shocked by this idiot, I just turn my head around to make sure that everyone was ok.. scary momment.
Karma will get him!... and will get him bad

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue,

It's not just you, alot of folks are experiencing this and talking about this year.

Did you see the unbelievable story from LA this week about the ER doctor who purposefully slammed on the brakes in front of two cyclists on a downhill. This will get you enraged:
road rage against cyclists

That's a link to a blog I wrote on it. There are a few links to different media accounts there.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Ari said...

People DO Not like cyclist dressed in lycra with colorful jerseys. I have opted for baggy shorts with short sleeved dress shirts and my close calls have gone down to zero. I don't understand where the hate is coming from. I go and ride and my main objective is to come home in one piece. Take plate numbers down and file a complaint.
You are taxpayers too!!!
Ari

10:44 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Unfortunately there is something in our water up here too and only of late. There have been major issues here this past spring and now into summer, don't know what it is....

However, I know Chris would like a smack down, but you would be putting yourself and your riding buds in jeopardy for the next time out.

Call the the police. As a riding club / group whatever you are, talk to the authorities in your area about cycle lanes. Write to the papers, put out petitions, do whatever needs to be done to be vocal and make drivers aware AND cyclists aware of the danger....

There is a total lack of respect whether you are a rider, walker, runner, person in general these days....but in my heart, yes Chris, I'd go for the smack down too!

Okay I'll get off my soapbox now....

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, I'm hoping that the knee brace on my left knee will make drivers say "whoa, this girl needs some rooooom".
Of course, it didn't work with the white pick up and long camper trailer the other night on Waverly Road., everyone else gave Kim and myself plenty of room

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home