Thursday, November 06, 2008

Thursday....


The Queen of Cross in her swing yesterday....


Plenty of rain this morning kept me in the house. After it stopped I went outside and raked the leaves that had fallen onto the driveway into the back yard and picked up the branches and sticks and tossed them on the "rot" pile across the creek.

The afternoon wasn't bad, the sun came out for awhile, but it was cold. Kinda. And windy. I emailed Jackal and asked if he was riding this afternoon. We made arrangements for G'ma to keep an eye on the Queen of Cross and then headed out under a threatening looking sky to Big Woods Lake for some time in the Hurt Locker. It was windy and cold by the time we got out there so we got right down to business. My plan for tonight was tempo, Jackal's plan was intervals.

Once out at the lake the wind made it interesting. I spent much more time on the drops than I usually do, which isn't all bad, and Jackal did his intervals. There was a certain spot on the north end of the lake that seemed prone to gale force cross winds everytime I came around and it was push, burn, push, burn around the north end of the lake, then into a slightly sheltered headwind. It also seemed like the wind changed direction while we were lapping the lake. My thighs were on fire!

Funny how I work harder when I ride with Jackal than I do when I'm alone, eh? It was good.

About halfway through our workout it started to drizzle. One of those light rains that stings your face and gets the pavement nice and wet. Oh yeah! It was good. We did about 10 miles worth of laps around the lake then headed home. It was starting to get dark so i hung my red blinkie from my rear jacket pocket and turned the itty bitty Cateye headlight on in "flash" mode. I don't like getting caught out in the dark without lights.

The forecast for the rest of the week sucks. Rain mixed with snow tomorrow and Saturday with a high of 39 both days and lows in the mid 20's. Cloudy on Sunday with a high of 39. Gotta love it! Probably oughta break out the rain jacket....

Sounds like great weather for Vande Cross on Sunday :) Should be interesting. Kat may have called it correctly when she predicted frozen mud ruts for the race. Sweet!

That's it for now.

Ride safe.

Peace out, yo!

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Well damn, looks like I leave and finally the cross weather comes.

9:25 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

geez, andy.... have fun in colorado. you'll be back for the 7 oaks race, right? i'm planning on it!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"while we were lapping the lake". What, you guys can ride on water? How fast are you to keep those bikes afloat? :^)
Doesn't sound like any fun to me. I am glad I don't have a kid like Jackal who rides and would make me work that hard!

11:33 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

oldman....
yeah, it's 1.8 miles around the lake with no shortcuts. you have to go really fast to stay afloat. in my case i have to attach a bungee between jackal's bike and mine so he can drag me around or i'm sunk.
just got back from more laps around the lake. it was cold and wet and nasty. gotta love it!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home