Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Chilly ride....





Sun coming up over the Cedar River....

The other side said 51. It was actually 31. New sign needs to be dialed in....

Black Hawk Park....

Sunrise.... The river is still quite high....

Changing color....

My good buddy John Fisher with his new Trek 1500....



It was still dark outside when I left for a ride on the Surly this morning. Cold, too! The local news and the internet said 31F. (The new sign at the Chamber building in CF must not be dialed in yet, it said 41. My fingers don't get cold at 41F, but they got cold this morning!) It was 36 when I got back home 2 hours later. I was surprised to see a few bikers and walkers out and about after the sun came up this morning. I saw John Adamson's bike sitting outside Cup o' Joes when I came down Main on my way back home, then I met John Fisher near Pfeiffer Park a few minutes later. All that by 8:30 in the morning! I should've brought some cash with me today. Coffee would have been good about the time I saw John A's bike outside the coffee shop! I'll store that thought for future reference.


John Fisher was taking only his second ride with clipless pedals today. He told me about his first instance of coming to a stop yesterday and being unable to clip out. You'd have to know John to appreciate the way he was telling his story. He said he felt like a "big ole' redwood" as he fell to the ground. He gets excited and his eyes get big then he starts laughing. I chuckled when he was done and let him know that it still happens to me once in awhile and that I've been riding clipless for years. Who doesn't remember that never ending trip to the ground when everything is in slow motion and you can't do anything other than ride it out? He told me how he went to The Shop last night and Jackal put his rear wheel in "that machine" and straightened it out "like magic". He said that Jackal told him "we may as well do the front one too". He was impressed! John is a good guy and a cycling fool! He used to take his Gary Fisher 29er out to the park to try to chase the roadies down. He just traded that bike in so that he could do it a little easier on a "bike with skinny little tires". Like I said, you'd have to know John. :)
Well, that's it for now. I need to go check on the crew working on the street out front. Make sure they're doing it right! Ha!
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!

8 Comments:

Blogger KAT said...

I thought that was you in your pro euro jacket? Who can miss that mustache at any rate? Kitty Kat's bike was there too - you should've stopped in for a warm up. We (John A. and I) start our TTH morning training rides at the coffee shop 8:30, so if you want - come out with us any time - start the warm up and stay for the intervals of pain. Or just the coffee.

Try the Kat cross course this Thursday - we will be working out there Thursday morning after a warm-up starting at the coffee shop 8:30.

KAT

6:23 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

There is the post I was waiting for. Now I can watch the temp steadily drop over the next 4 months. :)

8:05 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

thanks for the invite, kat! :) unfortunately i'll be back at work on thursday. i took mon, tue, and wed off this week and now i'm a bit under the weather. go figure! another time.....

8:06 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

chris....
i'm sure you'll see more of them! :) i think it's going to cool off quick now!

8:07 PM  
Blogger C. Engstrom said...

Nice pics Blue! Makes me want to go for a early morning ride, but I have to go to work before sunrise. Have to be content with my commute to work.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice pictures; riding in the fall is great despite the temps.
My wife fell over a few times getting used to clipless pedals; one time while standing in the driveway!

10:55 AM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

craig....
commuting is good. i've been trying to get the owner of my company to put in showers for a couple of years now. i'll wear him down, eventually.

brian....
my best one was at the mtb tt 2 years ago. i had my left foot clipped in and fell over in the gravel parking lot. plenty of people watching that one, including kat and john a. the blood wasn't a big deal, the embarrassment, on the other hand.... ohhhhh, that was bad.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Jeff Moser said...

When I first got my clipless pedals, they were way too tight. I couldn't get out of them at a busy 4 way intersection, and fell over, coming out of my shoes! One shoe was still attached to the pedal, just swinging back and forth!

I meant to do that...

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home