Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Nice day....


George Wyth Lake....
A bike rack out in the middle of nowhere....
Actually, it's the trail head for a walking path
through some restored prairie. It goes out and
around an Indian mound, which is kinda cool.

The end of the trail....
This is where the new campground took over the trail.
I'm sure it'll be nice when finished.
I hope the "high end" campers don't mind bikes....
They didn't thin the trees on the west side, they clear-cut them....
No more windbreak in the winter....
Heck, no one uses the trails in the winter, right?
Slippery when wet.
It's been under water several times this summer.
The water is still high, but this section is dry for now....
This is a bike trail. Seriously.
Jackal took a picture here yesterday
and I had to go check it out. Weird!
Someone's idea of a prank?
Not the greatest paint job but it's a "real" sign....
I have to go back to work tomorrow so I thought I'd better get in a good ride today with the beautiful weather. Upper 40s and a 10mph breeze. Excellent! I rode the grass dike along Wyth Lake and then out and around Big Woods Lake on the paved trails. I also had to check out the "no bicycles" sign on the bike trail where it crosses under 18th Street in Cedar Falls. Jackal posted a pic of it yesterday and I just had to go check it out. It must be someone's idea of a prank, or perhaps one of those mothers who push the baby carriages along 3 abreast with no idea what's going on around them put it up. Pet peeve.... Ha! Not only is that rude and inconsiderate, it's dangerous for the cyclist and the little one in the stroller as well. Anyway, I got in just shy of 30 miles. Nice ride!
I talked to one of the guys working on the street this morning to find out when they will be laying asphalt. Sounds like tomorrow will be the day! Woohoo! That will take about 2 days so I suppose it will be open in about a week. I like that idea! He also told me that after this section is done they will be finished for the year. That means that from the end of March through November of '08 we will have a low traffic street again while they attempt to finish 3 more sections to complete the job. It will be interesting to see if they get 'er done.
My brain says "that's it for now....."
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!
P.S. I just had a thought! Why don't they ask the trail users what they would like to see done before they go out and make "improvements" like clear cutting all the trees along the lake? Or like spending over a million dollars to build a campground that won't be anywhere near self supporting? (it will have city sewer to all campsites, running water, electricity, and cable for your television! That's not how I define camping, but hey, what do I know? To each his own, I guess) Just curious.... Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here on the tree thingy. Maybe they'll plant new ones to replace some of the old ones. Cool! I have to admit that it is a nice area. A real gem. I'm sure I'll get used to the campground, too. Someday. Maybe.
That's it. Rant off.


9 Comments:

Blogger bryan said...

Dude, that's what camping is if you're old and lazy. And don't really like camping. Think of it as a small summer home on wheels. Really small. And unsafe in tornadoes.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Blue - At first I just thought you were a bad ass resting your bike on that no biking sign.

8:10 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

bryan....
and unsafe on the hiway, too! i got ran off the road once by a guy pulling an airstream. i was riding my peloton and he watched in his mirror. actually, it was on union road by beaver hills. the curve right after the country club turn off when you're heading into cedar falls. pissed me off. i was a lot younger then. i wanted to chase him down and whip his ass. now i'd just finger him and hope he didn't stop.

chris....
i have to wonder how long that sign has been there? i ride by there all the time and never noticed it. see comment above: i leave the bad ass shit up to others nowdays. i have my anger almost managed now. lol.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Blue, where is this Indian mound you speak of? I've never been told about it before. Just curious. I wouldn't want to think that I might of hucked a mountain bike off it, but ya never know!

10:44 PM  
Blogger bryan said...

those Union Road curves are nasty. I always felt like I was going to roll our Jeep when I drove 'em.

10:47 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

g-ted....
ride the older (east) trail around big woods lake (from the south end) just past the cf rotary information booth until you see the bike rack on your left. rack your bike and look at the signs, they're about knee high and quite well hidden by the prairie grass.... you've probably ridden around the mound a hundred times

i never knew it was there either.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Management: To answer your question - Should we (management)ask the user group(s) for their input before implimenting a new trail or path or park? No way.
They would just offer all kinds of creative ideas that we would then have to look at and decide if they are actually better than the stupid ones we came up with and then impliment them.
Not gonna happen.
Any other questions?

Keep riding Blue! :^)

2:32 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Blue: Cool! I'll check it out!

At least I know I've never ridden over the top of it!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Jeff Moser said...

Cool riding pics. Looks like you are the only one in existence. The cooler weather makes most put their bikes away for the year...

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home