Sunday, May 11, 2008

Windy....

Rhea says "where's my lunch?"....
Fat Albert getting back from a very long gravel grinder....
West toward New Hartford....
Looks like some planting is getting done....
Into New Hartford....
Not open on Sunday? Hmmmmm....
Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there! Where would we be without you gals?
Lunch at Toad's with Jackal, Moo, and The Queen of Cross. Yummy! I ran into an old friend and co-worker down there whom I hadn't seen in awhile. He was in town from Grundy Center with his wife and family for Mother's Day.
I took off about 5 to ride to New Hartford and ran into Fat Albert on the trail as I was heading over to Cedar Falls. He was just getting back from a gravel grinder that made my entire body hurt just hearing about it. The wind today is a sustained 25-30 out of he NNW and he rode about 40 miles straight into it. I probably would have gone north to start and rode back with the tailwind but he's an animal and wanted to do "the ridge" down by Traer. Gotta go south to get there! Good seeing you, Buddy!
I took the Trail to downtown Cedar Falls then headed out 2nd Street and eventually Union Road to Beaver Valley Road. The wind was KILLER!!!! I had to pedal HARD to get 15 mph on the downhill after the viaduct by the Retreat House. Wicked! I always laugh when I get to Beaver Valley Road because the sign says "New Hartford 4". Well, it's 5 1/2 miles to the top of the hill by the cemetary and nearly another mile into New Hartford. That sign has said 4 miles for as long as I can remember, and it's always been nearly 6 1/2 miles. Even when I was a kid. Perhaps it's a state sanctioned joke? Anyway.... Like I said, the wind was out of the NNW so the major issue going west was keeping the bike straight on the road. I was really looking forward to the trip from New Hartford to 27th Street! It's 4 1/2 mles of rollers and it went by in a snap! Woohoo!
The 9 miles from the end of 27th to the Dome flew by also. Kat passed me in her Mercury Lincoln and slowed down to say "hi" and snap a pic of the "Bob Roll look-alike" cruising into town. Good seeing you, Kat!
It ended up being a touch over 38 miles today bringing the weekend total to about 94. I'm still about 700 miles behind where I was at this time last year but I'm feeling pretty good. Just need to get rid of some of this fat! :)
No near altercations with cars today. Sweet!
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

15 downhill sounds brutal. The weather is looking good up there.

9:40 PM  
Blogger KAT said...

Who is the guy in a 7-Eleven jersey i think and then the lovely red Colnago - hey I know that guy - glad I didn't get you run off the road with my driving. Will get the picture posted soon Blue and Kat's ride is a Lincoln - which to you car junkies is probably one in the same with a Mercury!

KAT

11:04 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

chris....
the weather has improved tremendously! i'll take it!

kat....
oops! i'm not so good at identifying vehicles anymore.... i never worried that you'd run me off the road :)

6:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I stayed out of the wind and rain on Sunday by having family over. If I had been out on the bike like you, it would have been a Mother when I got home!
Glad to hear you were free of altercations this time; maybe they were all home with their Mom's! :^)

7:44 AM  
Blogger Craig, The Flanders Fat Cat said...

Were the Flyers planning on putting up a fight sometime or are they content to just roll over and let the Pens scratch their bellies on the way to Detroit?

3:44 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

brian....
fortunately judy loves it when i go out and ride. it keeps me out of her hair.... lol

craig....
ouch! that hurt!
seriously though, they don't look too good do they? ahhhh well. there's always next year :)

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home