Sunday, May 18, 2008

Busy weekend....


The Depot in Boone....
Our Dining Car.... The locomotive....
Jackal and Moo....
Delicious....
What's left of my salmon and rice pilaf. The steamed veggies were good too....
We went looking for Herman but he wasn't home. Couldn't even find 1313....
Eagle Center with a tailwind....
Ahhhhhhhhh..........
Back into Waterloo via the Riverwalk....
The Queen of Cross cheesin....
Inside the tube....
Running in the grass....

Let's see.... I did yardwork yesterday morning rather than go for a ride. It was a beautiful day but the work had to be done. About 1 p.m. Judy and I headed south to Boone with Carl and Amy to have dinner on the Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad's dinner train. Jackal is a train nut and it was a surprise for him. It was also a combination Mother's Day/Fathers Day gift for Judy and I. It was SUPER! I think that Jackal was duly impressed and everyone enjoyed themselves. They brought broccolli with Judy's veggies so I asked if she was going to eat it.... Ha! I knew she wouldn't, so I got some extras! I had shrimp cocktail as an appetizer and the other 3 had a fresh fruit cup. I wasn't so lucky in scoring cantalope as I was with the broccolli. The desert was an absolutely delicious cheesecake with chocolate and caramel topping. Probably about 2 million calories. Thanks for the gift, Amy! Most excellent!
The wind was out of the almost dead north this morning when I took off on the Colnago heading toward La Porte. The trip south was pretty easy with the 25 mph tailwinds but the stretches to the east were brootal, making it difficult just to keep the bike on the road. I made the 32 mile trip through Hudson and Eagle Center in about an hour and 29 minutes. I tooled around La Porte for about 20 minutes then stopped and bought a Coke at the local Fareway. I drank that in about 30 seconds, ate a granola bar, and headed north on the bike path to Waterloo. I had hoped that the trees along the trail would give me some shelter from the wind but they didn't give me much relief on the almost 22 mile trip home. It was all I could do to maintain 16 mph on the trail and when I got to Evansdale it kicked my ass to maintain 15 along the dike into Waterloo. All I could think of was that this ride was taking care of the cheesecake issue from last night. When I got back to the Cattle Congress grounds I saw that the Fed still has the bike trail that runs behind the fairgrounds blocked off with big concrete barriers. How much ya wanna bet there's gonna be another "raid" in the next few days?
Anyway, I met jackal and Moo while coming down Rainbow about a block from home. They turned around and came back and waited while I showered, then we went to lunch. We went to Island Park afterwards and let Rhea run wild and play on the slides. She had a blast!
After the park we came home and I turned on the Flyers-Penguins game and watched my boys get their asses handed to them. Oh well, there's always next year. Chalk one up for The Fat Cat!
I was flipping back and forth and watching the Giro also. What a finish! Daniele Bennati edged Paolo Bettini at the line by about 2 inches in a wicked sprint. Go Liquigas!!! Awesome!
Rossi put the hurt on the rest of the field at Le Mans today to take over the lead in Moto GP. Yamaha took the top 3 spots today and were looking very strong. Way to go!
I just heard from Fat Albert. He survived another killer gravel grinder today. I think he'll do just fine at Dirty Kanza....
That's it for now.
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!








6 Comments:

Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Yeah, that wind was nearly as bad as T.I.V4. Imagine doing a hundy in that, like most of the field did that day. No wonder guys were getting blown into each other, the ditch, and crashing!

Anyway, I think I saw Fat Albert too. Rolling in on the Hudson bike path while I was on my way out. Anyway, it was somebody that knew me!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Craig, The Flanders Fat Cat said...

Better luck next year. But, cheer up--now you can root for the Pens!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a great weekend. I hate wind as much as rollers!
We have yet to get our kids on a train and have to do so soon before they are extinct. Maybe to Chi-town for the weekend this summer?
Sorry about Philly. They really did take one on the chin this weekend. I did not realize local boy Mike Knuble was playing for them. It lists his birthplace as Toronto, but he grew up in Kentwood, MI and played for my daughter's high school team. Brought the cup to the school when he was with the Red Wings; kids got a chance to see it in person!
Red Wings are slacking right now and might still lose this one too.
Queen Rhea is just getting cuter; is that even possible at this point? :^)

1:35 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Wow, that looks like it was a great gift weekend all round.

We may have lost our Wakefield (in Quebec) dinner train due to some landslides in the area, the land surveyors are checking all that out before the real tourist season starts.

What is with the wind this spring, it is unreal here today....

Glad you had a great time with Rhea and the rest of the family...

1:56 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

g-ted....
the wind. ohhhhhhhh my. wow. i suspect that it was fat albert that you saw.... he's a bit touched. kinda like you and super. :)

fat cat....
i'm all cheered up now. only 12 more months until i go through this funk again. good luck to your penguins.

oldman....
kerkove always said that "the wind is our mountains" sometimes i cuss that boy! a trip to chicago on the train would be pretty cool. a good dinner downtown, a couple of beers....
the flyers just plain sucked yesterday. goddddddd..... i finally just left the tv on versus and watched the giro.
rhea has taken to "cheesin" for the camera lately. she's definitely a piece of work. if you knew her mom and dad you'd understand immediately! ha! of course, i'm the calming influence in her life. ;)

lily....
the dinner train was a great gift. it was fun to spend time like that with carl and amy without any pressure to get anything else done. rhea was with her other grandma and seems to have had a good time. that little girl is a hoot! wild!
it seems like that darned wind is everywhere! i hope it's calm for you this weekend for your marathon. good luck! have fun!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I have always wanted to do one of those dinner train rides. I need to find one close to us.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home