Sunday, November 23, 2008

Middle Park Madness....

Kat chasing! Awesome job, Girl!!!
The reward is in sight....
Ahhhhhhh.........
I got passed by Jackal while I was taking refreshment....
Damned chain!
Sunday was definitely an interesting day. It was warm. Really warm, considering it's the end of November. I went out to do a couple of warm up laps and realized that I was going to have to shed the gloves and ear warmers. I thought of removing the base layer too, but decided against it. There were a couple of spots on the high areas of the course that were catching a pretty good breeze and making things cool. Had I been a bit faster, perhaps I would have taken it off. Oh well.
The course was another great one. All 4 of the venues that DICE laid out this year were excellent. Challenging. Fun. They have great CX fans over there by the river, too.
This course was about 50% hilly and 50% flat. About 1/3 of the course was soft ground. Soft like a barn yard. And damp. It was good.
Anyway....
The run-up was great. A barrier near the bottom that forced you off the bike. If you were a fast guy there was one good line. If you were more like me you could push your bike up any line you chose. The hecklers at the top with the beer determined my line for me from the second lap on. Left side of the climb. Closer to the beer. Hey! These guys and gals were at every race in the Quad Cities this year yelling and screaming and encouraging! I can't tell you how much I appreciated it! Also, some of the ICCC folks joined them and really made some noise. A big call out to Brian Abbott too. The man is a slide trombone virtuoso!
Let's see, I guess I can skip most of the boring details. There were a couple of times that I was so far behind, I was ahead. Brian Eppen followed me up the run-up on about the second lap. (ummm, yeah. he was lapping me... the first of many times) I had to quick get out of the way to avoid getting run over. I think it was on about my third lap that I was taking refreshment and someone yelled out "here comes your son". Crap! Getting passed by him again? Drink more beer! I trudged along until the hour was nearly over and had about a half lap to go and didn't really want to suffer through another one. My "friends" at the top of the run-up had come down to see the finish by then, so there wasn't much point of "suffering" through another lap. I started a tactical race at this point, slowing down just a bit and waiting for Eppen, who was leading by about 3 minutes, to catch me so I could suck his wheel across the finish line. Worked perfectly. I have to say that I had a blast. The weather was perfect and there were a lot of supporters with cowbells and lungs and even Brian with his trombone. It was great! (He still had lungs after tearing it up in the 3/4 race. Wow!)
The Bike Tech crew did well and had a great showing at all 4 of the races. A big Thank You to Kathleen for all of her encouragement yesterday and always! You 'da bomb!
I also won a nice set of Geax Cross Blades CX tires. Who can argue with that?
Ahhh well. Jingle Cross next weekend in Iowa City, then it's over for the year. It's been fun!
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!




9 Comments:

Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Nicely done Blue. That beer never had a chance!

Looks like another fun time was had by all, and at leat it looks as though it wasn't too cold down there. Can't wait for a full report.

5:38 AM  
Blogger john said...

Second place to Brain Eppen, huh? pretty good for an old guy from Bike
Tech Racing.
Congratulations for putting it out there and having so much fun while you were at it.
John

8:07 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Good to know you are still doing cross right.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am going to have to work on that wheel-sucking thing. Never thought to try having someone pull me around the course!
Going for the beer; good choice. I did not see any Founder's or even Bud waiting on our climb. The fans along the side were enjoying theirs but no one offered me a sip! :^)
Sounds like you had a fun weekend. One more event for us too. Guess you and I will actually have to start training a little earlier.
Next year if I am in MN, we're going to be duking it out for the Master's DFL title! :^)

9:26 AM  
Blogger Craig, The Flanders Fat Cat said...

Whaddaya gonna do when it's all over?
Shoulda specified that ribco was a late night venue. Never tried to go there in the daytime. Never ate there either.
Raced with the "A's" yesterday and was way last. Still couldn't bring myself to stop and have a beer or do a snow angel...personality defect, I guess.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue, please keep your base layer on... :)

1:53 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

g-ted....
nope, never stood a chance. :) it was fun and over 40f. good stuff!

john....
i think i was just ahead of eppen about 5 times during that race.... lol. he is soooooooo fast! and yes, i'm having fun and certainly appreciate all the support that the bike tech team shows for the entire family.

andy....
you know it, buddy! hope you're behaving out there in colorado. are the snow bunnies there yet?

oldman....
we can fight for dfl, i have no problem with that, but i do draw the line at training. well, serious training anyway.... the beer, as you can see, was actually bud light, which wasn't so bad. it made me burp though.... there's no shame in wheel sucking!

fat cat....
we'll get back over there to go to ribco sometime. looks like a pretty cool place. after cross? the surly, i guess. it's going to be a mild winter, after all. the government tells me so. just in case that forecast is wrong i'll have the trainer and the rollers in place. hope i don't have to use them! the beer was actually pretty good! a little crowd interaction never hurts ;)

anon....
what? you don't wanna see me nekkid?

7:34 PM  
Blogger KAT said...

Blue,

You da'bomb right back at you! Thank you for being such great support to this Kat girl- nice picture you posted too. Sooo good to see you in the BT colors - Race on and how you continually put it out there - pure inspiration.

And thanks for getting my winnings to me - way to take care of the team mates. Jingle is next for you - Right?

Kat

9:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Turkey Day Blue!!

Peace

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home