Saturday, May 16, 2009

Beautiful day....

Fatty and Jackal....
Windy in Hudson....

I knew that I wanted to ride sometime today but wasn't sure when. The sun is shining and the temps are hovering right around 50 F. The wind is out of the NW at 35 mph. Sounds like a perfect day for a ride, eh?
I got up a little late this morning and went to check email. Fat Albert was already up after a hard night of partying and was asking if I'm watching the Giro. I pull it up on my 'puter and we exchange banter for the next hour or so. He asks if I'm going to ride today. About that time I get an email from Jackal saying that it's cool (46F) and windy, how 'bout a ride? I guess it's unavoidable at this point. :) After I called Fatty a pussy for wanting to wait for the rain to stop before riding the other day, I couldn't back out of a windy ride. Funny how that works, huh?
We met up at 63 and Ridgeway with plans to head south. I hate starting a ride with a tailwind. That means you fight a headwind on the way back when you're probably tired. (builds character) These other guys don't seem to mind it so I won't complain about it. We met John and Kathleen with a few others heading north and waved and yelled at each other as we passed. From what I could see, they were all smiles riding into the headwind. I know that I was just starting my coffee when they were heading out this morning. Good seeing you, guys and gals!
The trip south to Hudson was almost too easy. When we got there we rolled through town and then headed east toward the Eagle Center blacktop. The wind was so strong that it was hard to maintain a straight line, even when going west with a quartering tailwind. I'm probably the heaviest of the group and the first hill out of Hudson saw me coasting past Jackal and Jeremy. I heard some derisive comments from those two about "there goes Schleck again". I don't know if they were referring to Frank or Andy, but I know it wasn't meant as a compliment. Fatty was on his CX bike and said "hey! I'm outta gears". Jackal took off so I took off too and The Corpulent One gave chase. That's a 5 mile section of rollers, a couple of them pretty serious, but it was easy with the tail wind. Fatty rolled up beside me and made a comment about me being too quiet. I told him that I was just thinking about the impending trip north and west.
To the idiot in the Audi: I don't like you.
When we got to the Eagle Center blacktop we turned north toward Orange. Holy Crap! Holy Crap! Whoa! The speeds came down from the 25 mph range to the 10-12 mph range. It was hard to keep the bike on the road. To say it was windy would be an understatement. It was BROOTAL!
When I finally made it into Orange, Jackal and Fatty were waiting for me. We turned west and rode through town and then out to Ansborough, where we headed north again. When we got to the intersection with Shaulis, Fatty continued north back into Waterloo and Jackal and I went west to hook back up with the bike path which took us north back to town.
It was a good ride. I'm not sure if it was fun or not. Parts of it were fun. Parts of it hurt like hell. I'll just say it was good and leave it at that. 29 miles in 2 hours.
I need a shower and some lunch.
Ride safe.
Peace out, yo!

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a workout. You are really busting ass this year.
Wind is howling here today and just a bit of sunshine. After yesterday's commute to work and back (42 miles), I decided to stay off the bike today.
Hopefully, I'll get a ride in tomorrow.
Deluca is in charge now, but Levi and Horner are looking good in 4th and 8th. Gonna be a battle!

4:46 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

oldman....
good on ya for riding to work!

this wind.... whoa! our mountains, as a wise man once said.

yes, i've been working a bit harder at it this year. i don't know how successful i'll be at it but even if i'm dfl in all the cross races again this year, it isn't going to hurt as bad.

the giro is lookin' good! :) i'm glad it's on the 'puter. i like it better than the tour, and i love the tour!

ride safe, buddy!

5:11 PM  
Blogger john said...

Mr Blue - That was sure was some day of riding - Riding west for us on 27th St had us in a four person echelon that had us almost riding side by side. Glad you got out there. We are going out again at 9:00 Sunday morning. Come on down to Joe's for some easy riding.
John

11:06 PM  
Blogger Guitar Ted said...

Character miles for a "character"

:-)

We got into that wind a bit, but after the sun went down, it died, and it got COLD!

Still, it was a great ride.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, don't let him fool you...he was complaining the WHOLE way into the wind!!! :)

5:02 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

john....
west on 27th in that wind had to hurt!

g-ted....
it was pretty amazing how quickly the temps dropped after the sun went down. did you get to test your lighting system?

there's more than one character in this town. i personally know several.... :)

fatty....
you were so far ahead of me that you wouldn't have heard me if i was screaming!

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yesterday was an easy day too! :)

7:59 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

whatever....

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was your son making the Schleck comments, but I was thinking more along the lines of Pantani, with hair, the way you took off up that hill in Hudson!

10:45 PM  
Blogger bluecolnago said...

pantani? you give me goosebumps! :)

6:38 AM  
Blogger Craig, The Flanders Fat Cat said...

At least you weren't that character who plungeed into a ravine and couldn't be found for 10minutes.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home